Understanding Organic Cotton and the Significance of GOTS certification.
Whether you're a conscious consumer, a sustainability enthusiast, or simply curious about eco-friendly textiles, this article aims to provide you with valuable insights. From understanding the concept of organic cotton to exploring the role of GOTS certification, we'll uncover the significance of this sustainable choice.
Exploring Organic Cotton: What is it?
We all know cotton and its importance in our life. But quite a few people know the cotton process is the reason for the industrial revolution. By ages, cotton has become the most important textile material in our life and for that reason, its production is significantly bigger than all other natural fibers.
However, conventional cotton fields and plants are mostly treated with many chemicals such as pesticides and fertilizers, to ensure sufficient yield every year. So, many years later we learned that those chemicals accumulate in our bodies over years and may cause some illnesses (like allergies, eczemas, or some other). After those discoveries, first less-harmful chemicals were developed for the cotton process, and then "the Organic cotton" idea has become to the table. And finally, organic cotton growth has been started in the mid-90s. (Our founder Mrs. Ozden had been involved with that progress since those years and have an active role in promotion of organic cotton production in Turkey.)
Organic Cotton is grown without the use of the above-mentioned harmful substances. In other words, it is a type of cotton that grows using methods and materials that are not harmful to the environment or the people who grow and harvest it. So, organic cotton is healthier for the environment and for the people who work in the cotton industry, and of course for the consumers who use it.
Together with organic cotton production industrialized, its observation & validation during plant growth and processes become very important. Because it is visually impossible to separate organic cotton from conventional cotton. So, GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) organization was established by 4 NGOs in 2002. Those were IVN, JOCA, OTA, and SA from Germany, Japan, the USA, and the UK.
The role of GOTS certification in Organic Cotton
In 2008 GOTS has been a legal entity in Germany and become the most well-known and strictest certification for organic cotton. To be certified as "organic" under GOTS, the cotton must be grown using pre-defined organic farming methods; and must be processed, manufactured, and labeled according to these strict environmental and social criteria. Those include the use of non-toxic dyes and other environmentally friendly production methods and “strict” control of workmanship and working conditions according to modern fair-trade rules.
Benefits of choosing GOTS certified Organic Cotton
- Organic cotton is better for the environment. Organic cotton growth does not use harmful chemicals and conserves some water so supports healthy soil.
- Organic cotton is healthier for people! As said, conventional cotton farming heavily uses chemicals that can be harmful to the earth, farmers and other workers, and consumers. Organic cotton is grown without these chemicals, so it is safer for the people who work in the cotton industry and its consumers. In Clean&Safe we have one stricter rule! Our products do not include dyestuff in their inside surface and will not have any synthetic content like elastane. So, you'll always be sure only the pure 100% organic cotton touch to your baby's skin; that means less possibility for future allergies, etc.
- GOTS is the most trusted certification for organic cotton worldwide. When you see the “proper” GOTS label on a product, you can be confident that it has been made with organic cotton that meets strict environmental and social standards; from the soil until reaching your baby.
- GOTS certification goes beyond organic cotton itself. In addition to ensuring safe cotton is used, GOTS also requires that other materials used such as dyes and other auxiliary chemicals meet strict environmental standards, and also the product is manufactured by strictly observed working standards, workplace safety, and fair-trade rules, human rights… (Simurg Tasarim Textile has had consecutive GOTS certifications since started production.)
- Buying GOTS-certified products supports sustainable farming and fair business in all steps of production/trade. By choosing GOTS-certified products, you are supporting sustainable farming practices that are better for the environment and for the people who work in the cotton industry. In addition, buying GOTS products can help to create a demand for them, which can encourage more farmers to use organic farming methods.
Where are Ozmoz Clean&Safe on this picture?
First, OZMOZ is one of well-known organic product developer and producer in Turkey since it established. The company’s experience goes back decades, provide a solid background for better products.
Since the Clean&Safe line has been introduced, always been made as GOTS certified product and will be so. On top of that strict criteria, we have our own special rules to protect our newborns and babies, so you can just concentrate to give your love to her/him, we care about the rest…
By delving into the realm of organic cotton and understanding the significance of GOTS certification, you have taken a step towards a more sustainable and environmentally conscious approach. From its cultivation to the final products, GOTS certified organic cotton ensures ethical and eco-friendly practices. By supporting this industry and making informed choices like Clean&Safe, you can contribute to a healthier planet and a more sustainable future…