Preemie Baby Clothes sizes in Australia? A Comprehensive Guide to premature baby clothing.
In this guide, we will delve into the world of preemie baby clothes sizes in Australia. Whether you're a new parent, relative, or friend looking to find the perfect fit for a premature baby, understanding the sizing options available is crucial. From the initial weeks in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) to transitioning home, this article will equip you with the knowledge to navigate the world of preemie clothing sizes with ease.
Welcoming a new member to your family is a joyous occasion, but premature baby birth (or preemie baby birth) can make it an overwhelming experience. An estimated 15 million babies are born too early every year in the World. That is more than 1 in 10 babies.
One of the many challenges parents face is to find proper sized and formed clothes that to fit their preemie babies. As preemies are quite smaller than full-term babies, it's essential to find the right clothes size to keep them warm, comfortable, and safe. In this article, we'll discuss what size is preemie baby clothes in Australia and try to gather helpful information to assist to choose the proper fit and size for your precious little one.
What are the sizes for Preemie Baby Clothes?
Preemie baby clothes in Australia are available in various sizes, but important is to find the right preemie size to ensure a healthy and comfortable fit. Preemie baby clothes are designed for babies who weigh less than 2.5 kg or are born before 37 weeks gestation. The following are the most common sizes of preemie baby clothes:
- Micro Preemie: For babies weighing up to 1.4 kg and measuring up to 40 cm long.
- Preemie: For babies weighing up to 2.5 kg and measuring up to 45 cm long.
- Normal birth - Newborn: For babies weighing up to 4.5 kg and measuring up to 55 cm long.
Normally, preemie baby clothes may vary in size depending on the clothing brand’s approach and the material used. Therefore, it's essential to check the measurement chart provided by the manufacturer before purchasing preemie baby clothes.
In Ozmoz Clean&Safe, we produce regular “Preemie” size clothes, weigh of early born baby from 2.5 to 3 kg, or 39 to 45 cm overall length. The reason for not making “Micro preemie” is they are usually kept in a premature baby incubator under supervision of nurses without clothing until they gain some weight and strength. Then, when you take him/her out to home, you can use our PRM / Preemie size clothes safely.
Choosing the Right Size of Preemie Baby Clothes
Choosing the right size of preemie baby clothes is crucial to ensure a comfortable fit for your little one. Here are some tips to help you choose the proper size of preemie baby clothes:
- Get measures of your baby: Either you measure or get from the nursery of your baby's weight and overall length to determine which size of preemie baby clothes is suitable.
- Check the measurement charts: Every brand has its own measurement chart, and it's essential to check the chart before purchasing preemie baby clothes. If you may not find a proper measurement info of the so-called preemie size; then usually it is a normal one, just named so…
- Consider the material: Preemie baby clothes shouldbe made from soft, stretchy, and natural materials that are more comfortable and allow better movement. Here is the most important difference of the Clean&Safe, we use only pure and least possible processed soft organic cotton in our garments. As our fabric has not been dyed, the inside of the garment does not contain any chemicals and as a part of our patented process, we cleansed them without any kind of chemicals, just purified/activated water; so ensure pure touch to your baby’s more-than-normal sensitive
- Choose clothes with easy access: Preemie babies require frequent diaper changes and medical attention, so it's essential to choose clothes with easy access to the diaper area and medical equipment.
- Consider the season: Preemie babies are more susceptible to temperature changes, so it's essential to choose clothes appropriate for the season. Clean&Safe’s mid-weight 100% organic cotton interlock fabric is the best possible answer for yearlong requirements.
- What if my micro preemie baby doesn't fit into preemie baby clothes?
- If your micro preemie baby is allowed to go home and doesn't fit into preemie baby clothes, you may consider purchasing doll clothes (Of course, you must read content info carefully!) or search special micro preemie clothes, which are designed for smaller babies. However, if baby is not so small, then we may advise use regular preemie clothes even if they are look like a bit loose because they usually gain weight faster than normal babies, too.
- Can I use full-term baby clothes for my preemie baby?
- A. It's not recommended to use full-term baby clothes for preemie babies, as they are not designed to fit the unique needs of preemies. Unnecessary loose items may cause issues in use.
- How many preemie baby clothes should I buy?
- It's recommended to have at least 3 or 4 sets of preemie baby clothes on hand, as preemie babies require frequent diaper changes and may need extra medical attention.
- Which forms of clothes should I select?
- As preemie babies are more sensitive than normal born, you need to find/buy easier to put-on clothes. In example, Clean&Safe Kimono (overlap) bodies are the easiest items to put-on, or the jumpsuits are easy with their full front and leg opening with gentle poppers. Also, Preemie baby clothes should be long sleeve and with foot at legs, to keep them warm and protected.
Finding the right size (and material) of preemie baby clothes is essential to keep your little one warm, comfortable, and safe. Prefer certified organic Cotton and pure items mainly. So, you may check our Clean&Safe preemie hospital sets with at ease in baby birth and then home use.
Clean & Safe Preemie Hospital Sets’ properties
They are unique sets from Ozmoz Clean&Safe; made from 100% pure organic cotton, especially measured, and prepared for preemies (Early birth) babies’ needs, like moderate to late preterm (32 to 37 weeks) birth. The Preemie set has six essential pieces, especially with a Kimono body to handle more sensitive babies in the early days easily.
Clean&Safe preemie set is an immediate answer for such an urgent solution need. Practically, very difficult to find proper clothing when the early birth happened; but now you have Clean&Safe...
The “most” important thing is that when you receive (or buy) our Clean&Safe products, they are ready for immediate use. Pre-cleansed and sterilised for your precious newborn and all Clean&Safe items are delivered to you in their clean state, so can use them directly at the baby birth or hospital exit.
Written by Mrs Mukadder Ozden (Textile Engineer) (Linkedin profile)
Reference #1: Healthline.com document reviewed by Karen Hill, M.D.
Reference #2: World Health Organization (WHO) Preterm Birth document