As an expectant mother, preparing your hospital bag for baby birth is an essential task to ensure you have everything you need during your stay at the hospital. In this blog post, we'll guide you through the efficient hospital bag checklist, including essentials for each mom-to-be, baby's hospital bag, and some nice-to-have items that can make your experience more comfortable.
Essentials for Mom-to-Be
When packing your maternity hospital bag, comfort is the key for you. So, make sure to include the following items:
- Comfortable clothes and underwear: Pack loose-fitting clothes, such as maternity leggings, nursing tops, and a comfortable robe. Don't forget to pack several pairs of breathable underwear that can accommodate postpartum pads.
- Nursing bras and breast pads: If you plan to breastfeed, include a couple of nursing bras and breast pads to keep you comfortable and dry.
- Toiletries and personal care items: Essential toiletries include travel-sized shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, and a hairbrush. You may also want to pack lip balm, facial wipes, and skincare products.
- Important documents and medical records: Bring a copy of your birth plan, identification, insurance information, and any relevant medical records.
Essentials for Baby
Your baby hospital bag should include the following items:
Organic cotton jumpsuit (onesies) or bodies/pants for him/her.
You need to have 1-2 jumpsuit (onesies or romper) as newborn size; to wear right after he/she delivered. If this is your first baby birth and feel anxious about wearing a jumpsuit at first days until you get used to, then a body and harem pant set is necessary.
Please note, babies can get cold easily from their feet and heads, so jumpsuit or harem pants should have footie just like Clean&Safe products. Socks use not advised for newborns due to blood circulation efficiency. You may select OZMOZ Clean&Safe products with full confidence, carefully prepared for your baby for jumpsuits or bodies and harem pants.
- And a beanie is essential for hospital bag too, to protect his/her head; as mentioned above. Choose GOTS certified organic baby clothes, like the ones we offer at OZMOZ Clean&Safe; to ensure your baby's sensitive skin is protected from harmful chemicals. OZMOZ Clean&Safe beanies are 100% organic cotton too, and with two layers provide comfort and protection together.
- Swaddle blankets and burp cloths: Blankets are the must-have items, too. They even use wrap her/him coming out of the delivery room. Please remember, he/she was stayed in mommies’ womb in ~37C; so they need an adaptation period. An organic cotton, soft and non-hairy swaddle blankets and burp cloths will keep your newborn comfortable and clean. OZMOZ Clean&Safe blanket has one step further for comfort, with its triangle head cover…
- Diapers and wipes: Pack a small pack of newborn-sized diapers and a pack of gentle, alcohol-free, and fragrance-free baby wipes.
Though not essential, these items can make your hospital stay more enjoyable:
- Infant car seat: Usually newborns come to home in their mother’s embrace; but in some cases may need to use an infant car seat, too.
- Maternity pillow or body pillow: A comfortable pillow can make sleeping in a hospital bed much more comfortable.
- Entertainment: Bring books, magazines, or a tablet loaded with music or movies to help pass the time during labour and recovery.
- Snacks and drinks: Pack some of your favourite snacks and hydrating drinks to enjoy during labour and post-delivery.
- Camera: Capture those precious first moments with your newborn by having a camera or smartphone on hand. The recent trend is mostly the smartphone instead of camera 😊 so check you have enough memory to save those precious memories…
Tips for Packing Your Hospital Bag
- Start earlier and make a list: Begin preparing your hospital bag checklist around your 30th week of pregnancy to ensure you have ample time to gather all necessary items.
- Consider the length of your stay: The duration of your hospital stay will vary depending on the type of delivery, so pack accordingly. Being a bit cautious is better than having issues later.
- Pack light and organise items: Use packing cubes or labelled zip-lock bags to keep your items organised and easy to find.
- Don't forget to pack for your partner or support person too: Pack a separate bag for your partner, including a change of clothes, toiletries etc.
By following this comprehensive hospital bag checklist, you'll be well-prepared for your hospital stay and ready to welcome your little one into the world. Shop for GOTS certified and ready-to-use organic baby products at OZMOZ Clean&Safe and enjoy free shipping Australia-wide.
Have a healthy pregnancy and smooth baby birth 😊
Please remember, whenever you need a clothing item OZMOZ Clean&Safe is one click away…
Author: Mahir Ozden, Textile Engineer (PhD)